Sender:
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:21:38 -0500
8BIT
From:
Bob Kline <[log in to unmask]>
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Rainer Schöpf wrote:

> Actually, when I tried the web interface to access the archives just
> a few minutes ago, it worked fine.

Yes, and it works for me now, too.  But only after I stumbled onto the
instructions for joining the mailing list directly via email, rather
than using the web interface for joining the list.  Try this with a new
email account:

  1. Open http://listserv.uni-heidelberg.de/archives/latex-l.html.
  2. Enter your name and the new email account address.
  3. Press the "Join the list" button.
  4. Respond to the confirmation request via email.[1]
  5. Wait for the echoed report of successful confirmation.
  6. Open http://listserv.uni-heidelberg.de/archives/latex-l.html.
  7. Click "Search the archives."
  8. Read the message telling you you are not authorized for this.

>  > I wonder how large the subscriber list for LATEX-L would be if the
>  > interface for joining the list weren't broken.
>
> I doubt that it makes a difference. The advertised interface for joining
> is via mail, and that worked.

Perhaps.  Here are the steps I followed to find the list:

  1. Performed a Google search on latex3 "mailing list."
  2. Selected the first entry that appeared to match.[2]
  3. Selected "Web archive interface."[3]
  4. Continued as above.

[1] You can also do this via the web; same result.
[2] "Lists hosted at LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE," the second entry in
    the hitlist; the first entry was clearly for a math font group.
[3] The "To subscribe, send mail ..." instructions were too far down
    the page to be visible in the browser window at this point (if
    they were there at all).  Even if I had seen the instructions,
    my primary goal at this point was searching through the list
    archives.  It would never have dawned on me that confirmed
    registration for researching the archives would fail, no matter
    what I did, until I had first registered for the list directly
    with an email command.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:[log in to unmask]