LATEX-L Archives

Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project

From:
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:01:31 -0400
Torsten Bronger <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> >>     XML doesn't do it and I find this very convenient.  In (La)TeX, for
> >
> > This statement about XML is not helpful without reference to a
> > particular document type.

So I guess you accept that point, but perhaps I did not need to say it
for your benefit.

> > For example, gellmu article does provide elements called "math" and
> > "displaymath", which when formatted to LaTeX switch on the
> > corresponding math mode.
>
> Well, you cut off the citation too soon.  I am talking about
> character treatment only, and in
> <message:[log in to unmask]> I write "the program
> -- or XML file format -- must provide a way to mark math areas, and
> it must apply rules or whatever to typeset accordingly."

Yes, sorry, I was reading too fast.

> > As LaTeX is evolving it will be possible for gellmu's "alpha" (an
> > empty element marked up in Gellmu source as \alpha) to be formatted in
> > LaTeX as (math) \alpha when recursively inside a math element and not
> > inside either of gellmu's "mbox" or "text", while outside of math
> > "alpha" could easily be morphed to a suitable unicode point.
>
> So you distuguish between both cases within your Gellmu tools?
> Okay, we have to, I do so, too; but actually I think that this is
> something that the typesetter should provide.  So, an \alpha in math
> mode should be cmmi, and in text mode is must be part of a Greek
> word.

One way or another there should be a distinction.

But I want gellmu article to be able to reach xhtml+mathml and for
this I want to have a source markup way of identifying math symbols.
For that purpose it is convenient for me to hold on to </alpha> (the
xml form of \alpha) until the end of any pipeline.  Beyond that I
think it inefficient use of xml structure to look individually at
items of cdata.  So my formatter is willing to think about how to
handle </alpha> but not about how to handle  (which will be
understood only as the unicode object that it is and which, therefore,
should not be found loose inside math).  (The last sentence is
supposed to have a single U+03B1 that is UTF-8 encoded; I don't know
what will happen in the mail.)

                                    -- Bill