Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:30:55 +0000
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 15/11/2011 14:15, Alexander Grahn wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I updated my TL-2011 packages today. Now, expl3 doesn't work anymore.
>
>   \listfiles
>   \documentclass{minimal}
>
>   \usepackage{expl3}
>
>   \begin{document}
>   \ExplSyntaxOn
>     \tl_new:Nn\g_example_tl{hello!}
>     \g_example_tl
>   \ExplSyntaxOff
>   \end{document}
>
> leads to:
>
>   ! Undefined control sequence.
>   l.8   \tl_new:Nn
>                   \g_example_tl{hello!}
>   ? q
>
> What is going on?
>
> Regards,
> Alexander

Hello Alexander,

We've worked hard on sorting out a number of inconsistencies in expl3
over the last few months. Some time ago now, we removed a number of
functions which it had become clear did not quite 'fit'. One of those
was \tl_new:Nn - use either \tl_new:N plus \tl_set:Nn for a variable or
\tl_const:Nn for a constant.

Functions for removal are now announced on the list both when we decide
to remove them and when we actually do. A comprehensive list of
functions removed since the 'big bang' work (which moved expl3 into
'l3kernel') is available from

https://github.com/latex3/svn-mirror/blob/master/l3kernel/l3obsolete.txt

We anticipate that very few functions will be removed from the l3kernel
in future, but there are still some places where this may happen. AS I
said, we are aiming to announce /every/ removal on the list.