Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:01:53 +0200
> i asked on c.t.t (and i don't yet know whether you've answered -- i
> didn't read news at all last week) what the style of the under-
> diacritic is.

I have seen your message.

> if it really _is_ a comma, it's easy to hack up a command using
> existing glyphs.  i did go so far as to examine the t2 basic glyph
> container, and i find that it doesn't contain the cyrillic `low tick'
> (i don't know what it's really called) as a separate glyph.

If I look on the proposal of ISO8859-16 (latin10) charset or in the
unicode fonts (latin extended-B) the under-diacritic is looking close
enough to a comma. It is a bit shorter and wider than a regular comma.

If I check some Romanian text (printed with lead letters, not using
computer fonts) then it is really a comma, maybe a bit shorter,
as a comma which was reduced by an operation of subscriptise.

The cyrillic `low tic' like for the Russian letter `ts', for me
it is looking as a very litlle `j' without the dot which is glued
in the right-down corner of the letter.

Romanian T, t, S and s with a comma below should be constructed with
a comma (regular one, or not). And it should not be connected the comma
below with the letter, as it is with the cedilla or with the Polish
accent \k.

> another place you might look at is the fonts that come with omega:
> the character range you mention is in the range those fonts definitely
> cover, but i don't have copies to hand to check.

I tried omega, but even the regular accents doesn't work (cedilla, for
instance). Of course it is working with \c{s} but not with \accent"0327s
or with \symbol{"015F}, as the \accent"0326s and \symbol{"0219} are not
working. I even don't get an empty space or a warning.

See at http://charts.unicode.org/ select the `Latin Extended-B'
and look at page 7 of 8, second column down: `Additions for Romanian':

0218 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH COMMA BELOW = 0053 S 0326 ,
0219 LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0073 s 0326 ,
021A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0054 T 0326 ,
021B LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0074 t 0326 ,

I can attach the file or a picture with the fonts, but I think the
server will not support it.

Thank you,
        Ionel

--