Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:06:28 +0100
At 15:25 +0000 1998/11/25, Phillip Helbig wrote:
>> On the whole, professionals can do better that amateurs: And this also
>> concerns websites and such. So publishing will simply change nature.
>
>I have to disagree here.  Most `professional' websites I've seen are
>bells-and-whistles, machine-generated, java-overkill, visually
>formatted.  Many amateur ones are clear and simple, hand-written, no
>unnecessary flashy stuff and concentrate on content not presentation. :)

I guess this is the difference between the professional stuff and the
amateur stuff... :-)

Turn this over, and you will understand:

I have to disagree here.  Most `professional' astronomy works I've seen are
bells-and-whistles, machine-generated, satellite-overkill, computer
analyzed.  Many amateur ones are clear and simple, hand-produced, no
unnecessary flashy stuff and concentrate on content not presentation. :)

Another thing is that we today the use of a lot of things that may not be
appropriate in the given context, but that is often the consequence of that
the fellows doing it have not yet become truly professional.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>