Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:44:49 +0000
Hi

I've spent some time today thinking about how I can best contribute to
accessible mathematics in 2022, besides continuing to run the TeX Hour. My
conclusion is this: Contribute to an online accessible LaTeX math checker.

This is a personal conclusion based on my skills, interests, goals and
social status (I'm retired). At tomorrow's TeX Hour I'll explain what I
have in mind, and the thinking that got me there.

Thu 11 Nov: 6:30 to 7:30pm UK(=GMT) time. UK time now: https://time.is/UK.
Title: Idea - an online accessible LaTeX math checker
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

Here's a teaser. The earlier and better the feedback the author gets
regarding accessibility, the more motivation and encouragement they have to
improve the situation. To test my conclusion I did a web search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=latex+accessibility+math+checker

Here's some of the results I got:

https://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahmto/elearning/latex/2019/05/06/accessibility-regulations.html
https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/digitalaccessibility/stemsubjects/
https://libguides.lib.msu.edu/c.php?g=995742&p=8207771

Here's some other links I found:

http://checkers.eiii.eu/en/pdfcheck/
https://umij.wordpress.com/2016/08/11/the-sad-state-of-pdf-accessibility-of-latex-documents/

I've a backlog of past TeX Hours to put up on YouTube. It will be cleared
soon.

Happy TeXing

Jonathan