Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:49:24 +0100
> At 23:02 +0200 2001/08/30, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> >    > I make use of a feature that in a project that consists of
> >    > several files allows me to compile each LaTeX file individually,
> >    > thus saving some compilation time while writing the
> >    > manuscript. I think such a system might be useful for inclusion
> >    > in LaTeX3.
> >
> >Doesn't \includeonly do what you want?  The only problem I see is that
> >\include starts each included file on a new page, which is annoying if
> >this behaviour is not desired.
>
> No: If I have a main file, then \include and \includeonly controls what
> should be in the main document. By my system, I may have a main document
> which is not altered while I write on additions:

sigh.  all this stuff is covered in immensely many faqs -- did you
ever try looking?

i do something similar to what you seem to want using includex (in
macros/latex/contrib/supported/frankenstein/unsupported on ctan), but
you really might try reading

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional+multidoc

2 answers, either of which offers tools that could be coerced to
provide the sort of thing you want.