Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2020 19:16:55 +0200
From:
LARONDE Thierry <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hello,

FWIW, one can not dump LaTeX on a virgin system (say D. E. Knuth
engines and fonts) if the following 4 tfm files are missing:

line10.tfm
linew10.tfm
lcircle10.tfm
lcirclew10.tfm

For required/graphics, the driver dvips.def is not anymore generated
by graphics-drivers.ins: it has to be get from contrib/graphics-def.
(Not a problem for me, I know where to find it; but it could be
mentioned in the doc.)

Neither ltxcheck nor sample2e.tex can be processed if the EC fonts are
missing (required?).

On a side note (since core babel is required): could you tell the babel
developers to correct babel.ins in order to not provoke an unnecessary
overwrite check by docstrip, because "babel.log" is also used as the
output name of a file created as a side effect. Namely, in:

% Dummy, it just read "modules" to be used when generating
% the actual file. There must be a better way.
\savingtrue
\generate{\usepreamble\empty
          \usepostamble\empty
          \file{babel.log}{\from{babel.dtx}{dummy}}}
\savingfalse

replace babel.log by dummy.log, for example (this is what I do by ed'ing
or sed'ing the file; but the less custom processing, the better ;)

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                http://www.kergis.com/kertex.html
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/