From:
Thierry Bouche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:57:33 +0100
Concernant « Re: default inputenc/fontenc tight to language », Eric Brunet écrit : «
» I should go to the latin1 by default, because it is somehow a more
» accepted standard (in the sens that it is an ISO standard) than ansinew.

You mean that people with macintoshes should have something do declare
in their files and others not? And that this would be forced somewhere
in latex or babel kernel?

» I have seen many beginners that begin typing in french their document
» without declaring an inputenc, and not realizing at once that accents are
» missing in the document.

Well, if they have T1/fontenc, they won't see anything wrong. As long
as french is concerned, making latin1 the default is restrictive as T1
is mandatory for correct hyphenation/kerning and T1 coincides with
latin1. You can live with only « » active with current latex, I don't
see a good reason for  requiring all >127 actives.

Thierry Bouche
__
  « Ils vivent pour vivre, et nous, hélas ! nous vivons pour savoir. »
                                Charles Baudelaire, Paris.