From:
Torsten Bronger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:58:30 +0200
Halloechen!

Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> On Friday 18 July 2003 08:45, Torsten Bronger wrote:
>
>> My dream is to just insert the UTF-8 sequence of 0x107 and it
>> works.  Of course, the "cacute" doesn't make sense in math mode, and
>> therefore LaTeX doesn't support such things, however I cannot tell
>> XML authors which characters they are allowed to type.  Even the
>> standard latin1 inputenc option isn't math-proof.
>
> I don't know much about XML,
> but this seems to me completely contrary to its philosophy.
> Surely XML markup is _meant_ to reflect the meaning of the content
> rather than just what you want printed.
>
> I would have thought TeX was much better suited to your needs in
> this case.
>
> As I see it, Knuth put common-sense above theoretical exactitude,
> while XML takes the opposite point of view. as MathML illustrates.

I think it's rather some sort of legacy from old 7-bit times.

I'm not very fond of MathML either.  However, I also said that the
"XML file format ... must provide a way to mark math areas".  MathML
does it, and it should be enough.  In LaTeX, it isn't for
non-trivial characters: You have to take care of how a certain
character must be written in the respective mode.

Tschoe,
Torsten.