Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:11:17 +0200
At 13:12 +0200 2001/05/27, Marcel Oliver wrote:
>1. Store the full language context with every character token sequence
>   along the lines that Javier suggests.  In other words, treat the
>   language context as part of the input encoding.  It would seem that
>   if Frank's requirement for an ICR ("a single item must have a
>   unique and well-defined meaning") is to be met, it would
>   essentially mean that every character needs to be tagged for
>   language context.

Perhaps I misread this as you are saying that every character should be
stamped with language context:

I do think that the language context should be everywhere present, though,
and that one should pick it up as early and conveniently as possible. But I
do not know how that should be done.

Could one not classify all available (human) languages, as one in Unicode
attempts to classify all characters, and make that available as a code? --
The number of languages should be much fewer than the characters. In such a
model, there will be a generic language code corresponding to old TeX.

  Hans Aberg