From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:46:36 +0200
Andreas,

small addendum

 > >  > And then: What's the error message in \tlp_use:N for? It looks
 > >  > so arbitrarily. Probably it's not?
 > >
 > > well I don't know when that was added, but i can see some logic behind it (not
 > > that i think it is worth having really (as i think one should get rid of the
 > > whole cmd). I think the idea was that a tlp is a storage bin so could never be
 > > "\scan_stop:", but either "empty" or contains a list of tokens. So
 > > "\scan_stop:" means something like \tlp_use:c tried to use a tlp that simply
 > > doesn't exist
 >
 > Oh, of course. I couldn't figure out where the \scan_stop: should
 > come from. But then I didn't thought about \tlp_use:c.

obviously if the tlp has to be constructed first one needs a construction
function, so \tlp_use:c is necessary even if one can leave out the \tlp_use:N
and from experience if the construction ends up with a previously undeclared
tlp then usually things go wrong as it then equals \scan_stop: which is
neither expandable (a feature tlps have) nor a "possible" value ie not at all the
same as

  \tlp_new:Nn\l_foo_tlp{}

or

  \tlp_new:Nn\l_foo_tlp{\scan_stop:}

so the check and the error message make sense here.

cheers