Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:00:11 +0000
Philip Helbig quoting Hans Aberg:

[proposed \colour command, I forget what for]
> >   Should the command not be named \color? I mean, who will remember how to
> > spell it correctly otherwise. -- Just joking. :-)
>
> \color might already exist in one of the graphics packages?!?!

\color is indeed used in color.sty, which seems to me a good reason
*not* to use either American or British spelling.  However, since I
don't recall what the original command was for (and can't afford the
time to look for it) I'm not able to suggest a reasonable alternative

> >   But I am not sure of the use of the command. Are there a lot of authors
> > writing papers in several English dialects simultaneously?
>
> Well, my next paper I intend to submit to the Monthly Notices of the
> Royal Astronomical Society, who in their style guide say `please use
> British spelling'.

However, MNRAS were still updating their 2.09 stuff in 1995, so one
presumes they've little interest in all this new-fangled 2\varepsilon
stuff.

This is in fact a general problem: SPIE, I found last week, updated
their 2.09 proceedings stuff in July (it turned out easier to hack
their 2.09 package to a 2e class than to un-2e-ise the paper that had
to be out <24 hours after I was called onto the job ;-).

What publishers (apart from Springer NY ;-) can we expect to refuse to
take part in this sort of exercise, I wonder?

Robin