Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 22:24:29 +0200
From: David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
"Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_)" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to register the |statistics| prefix, if possible.

A stupid question that just occured to me: should we be discouraging
registering prefixes that match another prefix' contribution to the
overly simplistic hash function used in almost all TeX engines?

The purpose of hash prefixes is to make packages independent from one
another even if there would be overlap without prefix, and at least
regarding hash buckets and thus performance, an identical prefix hash
would imply packages impacting one another where names overlap.

--
David Kastrup