Sender:
From:
James Kilfiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:30:21 +0900
Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> i nevertheless begin to wonder if we should change the default font encoding
> from OT1 to T1 so that more people get proper hyphenation without the need to
> say

I vote NO (as if LaTeX were a democracy!) For reasons already expressed
by Sebastian and Donald.  Putting it in babel would also cause problems.
  People (rightly) don't expect the formatting of their documents to
change from upgrade to upgrade, or from computer to computer.

I can see less reason not to put T1 as the default for 2e* But I'd
expect that font and encoding setting for 2e* to be much better handled
(with templates) than is the case with 2e.

James Kilfiger, on the other side of the earth