Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:19:16 +0000
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all,

Various issues have been raised on c.t.t concerning expl3, and I'd like
to address them one at a time here (some of the discussion might be
quite quick, but I'd like to have a record of which items are "ticked
off"). As a starter, lets take two issues I hope can be resolved
relatively easily.

The "num" data type does not really add to "int", and so l3num seems to
be redundant. I've proposed dropping it entirely, and as this has been
mentioned again I wonder if there are any good reasons not to.

Second, the lack of a "string" data type came up (I'd imagine a string
as something \detokenize'd). It seems pretty clear that both strings and
floating-point numbers need some support in expl3, so I propose adding
place-holder modules "l3str" and "l3fp" with some text in them saying
that they will get written at some point. At this stage, I'm not asking
for any decisions about what they might do, just suggesting that the
modules themselves should exist (which may well push someone to write them).

(More items to follow in separate threads: there may be a lot of e-mails
from me.)