From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 22:44:57 +0100
> Hunh?  Like what kind of class is that?

The kind we were discussing before we wandered off topic and Frank
changed the Subject to ``Extended include'' at which point it caught
your eye:-)

> You can't just go latex section1.tex if it doesn't have a
> \documentclass in it.  If it does, either you weren't using \input or
> \include to include it in the first place,

A proposed `journal' or `proceedings' class which redefines
\documentclass and other preamble commands such that `self standing'
articles *can* be input.

> A typical 300+-page document (source2e for example) doesn't tax TeX at
> all, and we are about to enter the era of web2c-7 with dynamic memory
> allocation.

Number of pages is more or less irrelevant to memory use. Source2e has
almost no cross references (sadly:-) so is quite light on memory
consumption. It is *slow* because all the verbatim bits are parsed `by
hand' to index command usage, and large parts of the old ASCII
latex209 comments are similarly parsed by hand so that commands
automatically print themselves verbatim even though they are not
marked up as LaTeX.

> add reason 2A) for using \include: To produce a partial document
> that is identical to part of the whole document.

Yes that as well, but to be reliable for that use the pages generated
have to be *exactly* correct and it is always difficult to be sure of
that with an include system. So you \includeonly{chapter3} but the
first page of chapter3 `should' start with a float from chapter2,
(which is now allowed because we assume an improved system with no
\clearpage) so at best the system leaves the correct amount of white
space. That might be acceptable depending on what you were planning to
do with these pages. If you *really* want `final form' not just a
draft perhaps you really need that float to be in place in which case
you need \includeonly{chapter2,chapter3}  etc etc.

David