From:
Javier Bezos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:39:03 +0100
>tried that and will send sample instance file in a separate message. it does
>work now but i'm still a bit worried about the mixture of global and local
>settings.

Me too. That's a very, very bad coding. Pehaps a solution could be an
one-level expansion before passing the attributes as arguments, ie,
something similar to the o specifier in the latex3 macros. Or
maybe a protected full expansion...

>anyway with a few exceptions it does now seem to work.

As I said in my first message, I'm still working in the package
and there are bugs to be fixed. And yes, bad flushing
is one of the bugs. My main goal was to show the basic ideas of
a different approach, even if the current bugs and those added
to the templates version produce a wrong behaviour at some places.
Anyway, the package provides \filright which _adds_ the filling
to the current margin (\raggedright ignores any previous
value), but it does not work correctly yet.

>is it
>something that should get a suggestion, or is this something really up
>to template writers? for example the line
>  label-format     = \textsc{\thecontentslabel}\ ,
>below seems rather strange to me (after having written a lot of
>templates in one style) as i would expect to get the label in #1
>rather than having to provide a fixed name --- why then #1 in the
>page-format? I'm not saying that i'm right here, but i would like to
>invite comments (perhaps that particular example is bad as counters in
>LaTeX are sort of strange beasts anyway with their internal
>repesentation forms etc)

I would, too. This is another way of doing things which (to me) makes
sense in the original package, but perhaps not in templates. But as I
said (Nov. 24):

>template
>provides a more readable version of the latter:
>
>number-format = \ (\textit{#1}),
>
>but my implementation will follow the first procedure for
>comparison purposes.

\bye
Javier