Sender:
From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:32:20 -0500
At 09:54 AM 98/12/14 , Randolph J. Herber wrote:

>|Does DVI have any advantages over PDF?

>DVI ==> Device Independent

Just naming something `device independent' does not make it so.  In fact, because
of fonts, included figures and \special, DVI is less device independent than PDF.

>Not all displays (printers, etc.) are Adobe PostScript PDF capable.

They don't have to be.  It is up to the OS to provide printer support.
You print to them from Acrobat Reader.  They need not be PS devices.
In Windows NT for example, I could print to any one of over 3,500
different model printers - and Acrobat has very little to do with it.

>Not all Adobe PostScript capable displays are Adobe PostScript PDF capable!

So? You use Acrobat Reader to view the file.

>If one remains with the almost universal Apple LaserWriter basic 13 fonts
>and the TeX bitmapped fonts, then the files are more portable than when
>Adobe PDF is used.

And no included figures and no use of \special.  In other words: hardly ever.

>An Adobe PDF can not be repaired readily with the
>usual UNIX command line tools;

Yes, if you are a PS genius and have loads of time on your hand.

>most Adobe PostScript files can be repaired by such means..

regards, Berthold Horn.

Y&Y, Inc.  http://www.YandY.com/news.htm  mailto:[log in to unmask]