Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:02:32 +0100
> » fontinst
> » has been making 8r<family>.fd files at least since v1.5 (1996), but I have
> » never seen a corresponding 8renc.def ...
>
> the unsupported 8r.sty is the supposed way to use them under poor
> systems that don't support properly  VFs.
>
> (Are all these things really sound on this list?)

of course they're not; they have absolutely nothing to do with the
development of latex, and would be better dealt with on comp.text.tex

nevertheless, thanks to all of those who've cleared up problems with
current latex for people, but users of the list -- PLEASE don't submit
bug reports here.  there are publicly available resources for dealing
with tex problems, and they don't include this list.

no-one with half-way reasonable web access has any justification for
failing to use comp.text.tex -- deja.com has reasonable retention and
is free (even if it _is_ pretty much crippled as an archive resource
just now).

we (the latex team) are unlikely to schedule work on bugs that aren't
in our database.  people with bugs (rather than infelicities such as
the present problem) should use latexbug to report them, making sure
they have the correct category for their report, and that they include
a *minimal* sample.  mime attachments tend to get mangled by the bugs
database and should be avoided if at all possible.

Robin Fairbairns