From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:39:42 +0200
At 11:49 +0100 2001/08/31, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> No: If I have a main file, then \include and \includeonly controls what
>> should be in the main document. By my system, I may have a main document
>> which is not altered while I write on additions:
>
>sigh.  all this stuff is covered in immensely many faqs -- did you
>ever try looking?

Really. So let us know how the planned LaTeX3 version will look like.

>i do something similar to what you seem to want using includex (in
>macros/latex/contrib/supported/frankenstein/unsupported on ctan), but
>you really might try reading
>
>  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional+multidoc
>
>2 answers, either of which offers tools that could be coerced to
>provide the sort of thing you want.

The FAQ you quote says:
  includex enables you to '\includedoc' complete articles (in the way that
you '\include' chapter files in an ordinary report). It doesn't do the
whole job for you, though. You need to analyse the package use of the
individual papers, and ensure that a consistent set is loaded in the
preamble of the main report.

So evidently, it does not do the trick.

Have you decided to keep the preamble style for LaTeX3, or is it not
possible to remove it?

  Hans Aberg