Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 14:44:50 +0200
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
At 11:30 97/05/05, Ulrik Vieth wrote:

>Hans Aberg:
>
>>   But if you decide to typeset tensors upright sans serif, then the
>> Christoffel symbol, which normally is an upper case $\Gamma$, should be
>> typeset like that too. (But using a $\Gamma$ for the Christoffel symbol is
>> so standard, it should perhaps be typeset upright anyhow.)
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If you are refering to a specific
>Christoffel symbol $\Gamma_{ij}^{k}$, you're dealing with a scalar
>compnent of a pseudo-tensor, which means that the $\Gamma$ would be
>set in \mathnormal anyway (whether upright or italics might depend
>on the publisher's preferences for uppercase greek).

  This discussion concerned whether one should allow having both
normal-shape and italics Greek letters, which would be suitable if, in
mathematics, one wants to bring out the difference between names that are
considered to constant, and other names, or following some of the other
ideas that physicists are experimenting with (which seems to be rather
different from the ones used in mathematics).

  Hans Aberg