Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:58:09 +0100
Hello Bill

>>  if I may run the last thought on:

Certainly!

>>  and that can be regarded as definitive by those who write programs for
>>  translating LaTeX to-and-from other formats

agreed, and

I think a standard list of core LaTeX user level commands (from the
kernel and core packages) would be great.

but

Because it will not be frozen forever in time,

yes, this is needed in addition to a

I had been thinking of both a 'standard' that is fixed (unless, for
     example, a new package clearly needs to be added or the basic user
     commands get extended (very unlikely!)) and, in addition, a non-frozen
     list (or lists) of what is 'available' 'widely used' or 'what
     XXX-system understands': these lists would then be easier to create
     since they can be of the form
     standard + <additions> - <unsupported/unused>.

It may turn out that there is a need for more than one such 'standard':
from where I sit, bombarded by YAMathInput system versions, just to get

  basic-math + amsmath

structures into a well-publicised standard would be really useful.

Would such standards suit you too?

>> it should be something that is distributed with LaTeX.
That of course is up to Them:-).
(Getting anything distributed is quite a pin these days.)

Any other ideas/comments form suppliers/users of LaTeX-encoded documents
would be welcome.  Thanks,  chris

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302)