From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:25:56 +0100

 > Maybe your mental image of VMS is still a 2 meter high rack with one
 > MicroVAX and its huge and heavy disks, capable of less than a modern PC?
Microvax? no, before that...

 > I often meet people which have a similar mental image of TeX and
 > LaTeX. They are surprised: What, LaTeX can do colour? What, embedding
 > eps figures runs without pain? because their mental image conserves
 > a state of LaTeX half a decade ago.

and that relates to this topic: people look at Lamport's book and say
`but that doesn't do anything like my complex journal style'. when
they look further, they are confronted with 1Gb of rubbish on CTAN,
some of which conceals what they really want - maybe.

i think we'd all benefit from a new articleplusplus.cls

sebastian