Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 15:59:07 +0200
Subject: Re: future
From: Arno Trautmann <[log in to unmask]>
Hi William,

William Adams wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:01 AM, William Adams wrote:
>
>> So I guess this has two questions:
>>
>> 1 - what is the optimal way to get non-standard characters like that into a text stream?

LuaTeX, I guess. The node manipulation in the post_linebreak_filter
should easily do this and is most flexible.

> There's an obvious corollary to this:
>
> 1b - Do we have a list of characters which are replaced by vector elements? If so, what should be done about them?

In LuaTeX, traverse the node list, check for the char code, read out the
width, replace the char node with a rule to the given width.

> I believe that in any instance of the user issuing a command to output character(s) matching character(s) need to show up in the output.

Depending on how many instances there are, this could lead to a huge
number of output lines. I'd rather say, there should be a warning for
each character at the beginning or at the end of the output. Maybe even
the number of substitutet characters – which is no deal to do with a Lua
approach.

cheers
Arno