Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:01:14 -0400
Subject: Re: future
From: William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
On Jun 20, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Uwe Lueck wrote:

> ... an idea deriving from discussions at the Munich TeX Stammtisch:
>
>     LaTeX3 -- the future of LaTeX -- forever!

Okay, given that, what would be the ideal document preamble to make the transition from 2e to 3 easier?

I ask this 'cause after a lengthy set of discussions on the OS X TeX and texhax mailing lists I was able to help out a visually disabled user who was mystified by their underscores ``disappearing'' when using a screen reader (they were of course visible in the output, but since they were filled vector rectangles weren't read out) by having them add:

> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}

to their preamble, then getting the underscores into their .pdf by prefacing them w/ the \string command.

So I guess this has two questions:

1 - what is the optimal way to get non-standard characters like that into a text stream?

2 - would it be possible to create a suggested list of packages which will align insofar as is possible w/ how we envision LaTeX3's 2e compatibility mode, so as to ease the transition from 2e to 3?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer