From:
Arno Trautmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 20:31:16 +0200
Hi all,

just today I understood what the new check for the float means for a
real life document:

Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 13/05/2014 09:22, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> The newest fix-cm contains at the end some code to fix floats which
>> imho doesn't belong there. The identical code is also in fixltx2e.
>>
>> \def\@xfloat #1[#2]{%
>>
>> \ProvidesPackage{fix-cm}
>>            [2014/04/27 v1.1p fixes to LaTeX]
>>
>> \ProvidesPackage{fixltx2e}
>>
>>            [2014/04/27 v1.1p fixes to LaTeX]
>
> Thanks for the report. The issue here was a missing set of DocStrip
> guards (fixltx2e and fix-cm come from the same source file). This is now
> corrected in the SVN and will be sent to CTAN soon.

This code breaks the float package if fixltx2e is loaded afterwards.
Which happens if one has the habit of loading packages alphabetically
and invoking fontspec which requires fixltx2e. By this, documents with
the header

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}

\begin{document}

will not compile anymore. Is this intended? Would it help or do any harm
if the float check would be added \AtBeginDocument?

best,
Arno