From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:32:43 +1030
Hi David,

Thanks for the comments.
Much food for thought for all of us.

On 24/02/2009, at 2:24 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> To some degree it feels like we have a chaotic workshop with make-
> shift
> crafted tools all over the place and lots of shoestring and duct tape
> and stuff.  And we are trying to turn this into a factory by
> discussing
> the most systematic labels for shoeboxes that we are going to sort the
> tools into, trying not to break too many contraptions in the process
> of
> sorting into separate pieces.

Haha. Well, quite.
I've mentioned a couple of times before that one of the big reasons
I'm working on the expl3 code is that I wish I could use it straight
away in my XeTeX packages.

But I can't rely on using it while it's in the state I'm in, since I'm
sure all who've used it will agree that -- as great as its ideas are
-- it was overdue for a major tidy up. We at least need a stable base
for the work that we do.

Once that's done, I can go back to working on packages like fontspec,
unicode-math, and (I hope) breqn as well. I think that counts as
progress, but we'll wait and see how well that plan progresses.

* * *

> "Programming in Lua" is one of the best books I've read for
> programming
> in any language.  Because it does not suggest the line of thought "to
> tackle larger problems, expect a larger mess".

Great, I look forward to reading it.

Cheers,
Will