From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:50:27 +0200
Despite my not knowing whether the release of a new LaTeX2e*-y package is
that much to mention anymore---Frank's mail the other day sounded like at
least template and something like xhj was fairly close to getting properly
released, and I would consider that a Good Thing---I'd still like to
announce the availability of my own docindex/docidx2e package, which can be
found on CTAN in macros/latex/exptl/xdoc/ since about a day. The
functionality provided by this package is formatting of indices (and the
like); it is primarily geared towards the index and list of changes of a
.dtx file.

From the more general perspective of LaTeX2e* development I suspect that
the most interesting feature of the docindex package is that there is also
a docidx2e package, which is docindex "downgraded" to work without any
LaTeX2e* packages but still following the same general logic. I believe the
comparison of programming styles can elucidate the advantages there are
with the templated style (even for those who have mastered the classical
style).

I also think the markup of template definitions etc. came out quite well.
People who are themselves writing templated packages may find it worth
while to take a look at the typeset sources for that reason alone.

Lars Hellström

PS: It's OK by me if you want to mirror the code in the experimental code
directory on the latex-project website.