Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:09:30 +0200
Will Robertson skrev:

> 1.  Despite the large increase in verbosity (doubling the line count), I
> think I like splitting the defaults into separate keyvals. In fact,
> after splitting defaults from the definition of the keys, it's no longer
> clear to me whether defaults should be included within the template
> definition at all.

Agreed. I recall from my own experiments (long ago) with template that
the defaults-in-definitions were troublesome. I think I ended up not
using them at all.

> 2.  If template-alt is going to auto-detect variables and set them
> appropriately, perhaps it could do the same for functions.
>
>        number-format      .set:N  = \caption_number_format:nn
>
> could look at the signature of \caption_number_format:nn and use
> \cs_set:Nn automagically, I think.

I'm generally not keen on automagic stuff myself, but that's just me.

One remark without having looked at template-alt in detail is however
that the signatures above feel as though they're on the wrong side of
the =. That there are two arguments is a property of number-format; you
need to know this when providing a value for this parameter. The :N
signature rather seems like it applies to the implementation, the
details of which are otherwise in the right hand side.

Lars Hellström