From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2018 13:12:53 +0930
Hi Benjamin,

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 12:38 pm, Benjamin Berg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The problem for me is that I am shipping the package separately, which
> means that I am confronted with whatever version the user already has
> on their machine.

If you really know that users will be updating/using new versions of your package on outdated systems, and they can’t/won't upgrade l3kernel itself, the best/easiest thing to do in this case would be to have code like:

\cs_if_exist:NF \ior_str_get:NN
  { \cs_set_eq:NN \ior_str_get:NN \ior_get_str:NN }

(Perhaps with a warning in there that if at all possible the user should update their expl3 version.) And then use the updated version of the command.

Regards,
Will