Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:22:07 -0700
From: William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
. . .

> Furthermore, and maybe my most important point, is that almost the
> entirety of that world is very far from any TeX-related mailing lists, user
> groups, blogs, etc etc etc.
>
> Also, even the small(??) parts of it that I occasionally move in are
> estimated now to total over a million users and they are more and more
> using it not just to format whole documents for paper-like output but as
> input to a large range of computational, information and communication
> tools that need to interact smoothly with more standard formatting uses

If you want the tools of the LaTeX Project reliably to provide automatic
input for the "large range of computational, information and communication
tools", then I would reiterate my TUG 2010 suggestion for developing LaTeX
profiles, http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb31-2/tb98hammond.pdf

            -- Bill

--
William F Hammond