From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:23:45 +0100
Richard Walker writes:

> Joachim Schrod writes:
>  > And it isn't impossible to do. Linux and Perl demonstrate it. The ease
>  > of use of CPAN.pm is something to die for in the TeX world!
>
> Indeed - I am constantly amazed at how good the CPAN interface works.
> If I want package XYZ I just say `install XYZ' and the module is
> ftp'ed, configured, tested, and installed automatically.
>
> Clearly the reason we do not have this for CTAN is the fact that TDS
> is still only a `draft' standard.

What an astounding logical leap.  You suppose that the CTAN team (who
have to provide the steering scripts on the archive sites) have
nothing to do with the matter?

As it happens, we _have_ started moves towards providing a CPAN-like
mechanism.  However, we all have this tedious imposition of jobs that
require us to spend time doing other things...

> When that is settled it should be possible to bundle up CTAN packages
> in CPAN format, and then use a modified CPAN.pm to access them.

Trivial, of course.

> (Maybe we need benevolent dictators (i.e. the LaTeX3 Team) to step in
> here? :-)

People, on the whole, pay no attention to the LaTeX team[*], any more
than they do to the CTAN team or any other well-meaning group of
individuals.  Roughly speaking, if you want something done, you have
to do it yourself.  Don't imagine that (in the free software world)
highly desirable things are going to happen simply because it would be
nice if they did...

Robin

[*] This mailing list is, of course, an exception to this rule -- one
might expect it to consist largely of people who have a general
respect for the team, and a willingness to accept their suggestions.
But it's not exclusive even among our numbers, and in the world at
large...