From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:23:10 +0100
13 jan 2008 kl. 19.41 skrev Frank Mittelbach:
> I'm having a bit of trouble to find a good way to specify internal or
> external
> page setup control. In LaTeX2e this concept only exists in some
> rudimentary
> form, i.e., it is possible to influence that page style as far as
> running
> headings are concerned by placing a \pagestyle or \thispagestyle
> command in
> the source but that's about all that is available.
[snip]
> What I'm looking for for the new output routine is to be able to
> change, for
> example, the area specifications for the current or the following
> pages. The
> tricky part is: how should this be specified and when should it act?
>
> If it works like \thispagestyle, i.e., is intended to act on the
> "current"
> page then this might result in the following problem:
>
>     * Some such directive would be picked up when gathering material
> and would
>       change, say, which float areas are allowed on the current page.
> But then
>       adding floats to these areas the point with the directive might
> get
>       pushed out of the current page (since each float takes away
> space from
>       the galley). As a result all the placements done may no longer be
>       valid.

Maybe a stupid question (however any reply might be better than no
reply), but would it help to use \marks for communicating this kind of
settings to the output routine?

Parts of what you've written seems to indicate there is the kind of
sensitivity to position in vertical material that marks would provide,
but OTOH grepping in xpackages/xor/ doesn't turn up anything to
indicate that marks are being used for anything but running head
contents and the like.

Lars Hellström