Sender:
From:
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:48:51 +0200
if there is anybody interested in helping Thomas to turn his work into a
package could he or she contact him?

frank

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Reuben Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: latex/2502: Dashed boxes
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:31:13 +0200 (MET DST)

>Number:         2502
>Category:       latex
>Synopsis:       Dashed boxes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

I hope that this request is not importunate:

In the course of my work I have developed some sets of LaTeX macros. Most
are of limited applicability, although I hope to find the time eventually
to tidy them up, document them and release them.

However, one set might well be widely useful (if they have not been
developed already): I have developed some commands analagous to \fbox and
\framebox that draw dashed boxes. Also, I have developed commands that
work rather like shadow box, but rather than drawing a shadow, draw
partial boxes, so that an effect rather like a stack of cards is obtained:

 _________
|         |_
|         | |
|         | |
|         | |
|_________| |
  |_________|

I am not an experienced LaTeX programmer, and lack the time and expertise
to document these macros and tidy them up for release. Also, they are
probably rather inefficient at the moment, being implemented in a mixture
of LaTeX and TeX, as I used whatever commands I needed to get them to
work, but tried to do it in the simplest way, using LaTeX packages such as
ifthen and calc.

Finally, it would be good if any bugs could be removed (I'm not aware of
any, but some probably exist), and if the macros could made consistent
with built-in LaTeX commands (again, I've tried to do this, but have
probably failed).

What I'd like, in essence, is to turn the macros over to someone who is
willing to do this work so that they can be made available to the entire
LaTeX community. The task would probably be quite short for an expert.

- --
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rrt1001/ | maxim, n.  wisdom for fools