Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:41:42 +0200
Matthew Swift <[log in to unmask]>:
>TeX macro parameters and their TeX syntax may be
>"in-reality-not-so-advanced" to multi-year veterans of TeX...

  It was not really intended as polemics, but we have discussed syntaxes
going beyond that of standard TeX parameters, both such that depend on
extensions of TeX itself and can be programmed within TeX. For example, I
suggested a variation
   \define?c1<par1>{def1}%
          ?c2<par2>{def2}%
             <parn>{defn}
That in succession checks the character chi within the parameter text pari,
and if there is a match, it expands to defi, otherwise it tries the next
pattern. This can be implemented in TeX with under some condition, which I
do not know if it is prudent to assume.

  So I would suggest a terminology, "standard TeX definitions" for the TeX
style definitions, and perhaps "standard LaTeX definition" for the LaTeX
\newfoo[7]... style definitions.

-- Otherwise I think it is clear that an user interface should hide away
the technical stuff, but I do not feel it is difficult for me to write say
    \define#1#2#3{...}
instead of
    \define[3]{...}
Perhaps the latter is easier for casual users.

  But not being allowed to use parameter texts in LaTeX definitions kills
off some of the creativity possible with TeX.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>