From:
Heiko Oberdiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:10:02 +0200
Hello Frank,

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:52:43PM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> Heiko,
>
>  > > * I have written a wrapper file that merges all the ltnews??.tex
>  > >   documents: ltnews.pdf contain all LaTeX News issues 1--17.
>
> I wonder if it is best to have the ltnews in there in cronological order or
> better in reverse cronological order.

See below.

> not even sure it is best to have them all together.

* For example, I don't want to open upto 17 (seventeen!) files
  to find something. Thus I just call "texdoc ltnews" and ask
  the PDF viewer search function.
* Second advantage, the directory listing of TDS:doc/latex/base
  does look less cluttered.

> most people will be only
> interested in the latest information so reverse might be the best order

It would be easy to implement. But there are some reasons against:
* Natural order is chronological. The page and time axis show
  in the same direction.
* Confusion: If I look at books that deal with history, then
  I have never seen one that starts at the 21th century and
  ends at the big bang.
* Inconsistent: Look at the "Change History" of the LaTeX documentation
  (source2e, multicol, ...). Here you have already decided against
  reverse chronological order.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <[log in to unmask]>