Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:50:54 +1030
Branching off on a comment by Lars.

On 09/11/2009, at 1:27 AM, Lars Hellström wrote:

> My first gut reaction is that decisions of whether to put a heading
> in the TOC or not should be controlled by the choice of instance (or
> are they named "objects" now?).

No, instances are still instances :)

"Objects" are what you used to declare when you wrote in the template
package \DeclareTemplateType. That command has now changed to
\DeclareObjectType. Why? Because even more importantly than templates,
objects are linked to *instances* -- it's possible to even create an
instance that satisfies an object without using a template.

So where before we had this implicit idea of templates and instances
being collected together to fulfil some sort of role in the document,
we can now explicit talking about, say, "heading objects", "float
objects", "vulgar fraction objects", and so on.

I'd like to improve the documentation on this, so if you have any
comments on how xtemplate can be made clearer I'm all ears.

-- Will