Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:58:13 GMT
> So provide a front-end filter for converting UTF-16 to a better
> multibyte format.

well no I won't because there are already 1001 good converters freely
available already. I agree that since its easy to convert that it isn't a
real problem in practice. Mainly its a problem for _me_ as I can't call
xmltex an XML parser because the XML spec mandates utf16 support.
(Apart from bugs, of which there are probably some) I believe xmltex
does implement all the productions in the XML spec that are required of
a non validating parser. With the exception of this TeX behaviour of
removing spaces at ends of lines, which affects white space
normalisation and utf16 support.

David

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp