Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:42:33 +0200
At 10.02 +0100 0-09-28, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> (Are all these things really sound on this list?)
>
>of course they're not; they have absolutely nothing to do with the
>development of latex, and would be better dealt with on comp.text.tex
>we (the latex team) are unlikely to schedule work on bugs that aren't
>in our database.  people with bugs (rather than infelicities such as
>the present problem) should use ...

\def\them{LaTeX development team}

It is of course up to \them to define the rules of this list as they please.

But generally, the question which standard headers one should have and what
ought to be in them use to be discussed in the Usenet news comp std groups
for say the C/C++ languages. So if similar principles apply to LaTeX, the
prospects of a 8renc.sty file in say the LaTeX base distribution appears to
belong here. (But discussions on how to get around the absence of such a
file practically belong somewhere else. :-) )

Another question, which I did not explictly mention but hinted at, ought to
belong to this list, namely what principles to use in error reporting: I
think that the normal way for LaTeX to react would be that if there is a
likely makeshift substitute, LaTeX might try that, but if the attempts are
more off than that, LaTeX should report an error and stop. I admit, it
isn't easy to program LaTeX that way given the shortcomings of TeX, but now
you have a case that departs from that principle.

  Hans Aberg