Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:36:32 +0200
At 11:10 +1000 98/06/23, Richard Walker wrote:
>Hans Aberg writes:
> > One then becomes independent of that old PlainTeX once for
> > all, and is free to build up an entirely new consistent logical structure.
>
>You mean that one is free to build up an entirely new _inconsistent_
>logical structure . . . !  We all know about creeping featurism.  Even
>small subcomponents such as NFSS show how difficult it is to get it
>right.  (And the NFSS is not modular - you can't easily add a new
>`axis'.

  Well, at least one is freed of not being forced to do it in this or that
way just because TeX or LaTeX2e did it. So that structure can be allowed to
be inconsistent with TeX and LaTeX2e, but should be strengthened to be
consistent within itself.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>