From:
Matthew Swift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 02:12:44 -0400

    F> in fact for some prototype kernel (long time ago) i implemented
    F> a scheme that always used two aux files: one to read from and
    F> one to write to. the advantage was that a) less files and b)
    F> much better control in error situations, ie in case your run
    F> ended in the middle LaTeX would not use the file that was only
    F> partly written but the one that was fully written last time.

Frank, would you describe the basic flowchart of this idea?  I would
like to implement it in my experimental include system.

If your two aux filenames are A and B, during the first run you read
From A and write to B.  Presuming no errors, during your next run
however you need to read from B and write to A.  How do you keep
track?  I'm sure I could arrive at a solution, but if you did this
before and had it working, you maybe solved some other problems I
would have to re-solve.