Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: John Rowland Lenton <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:27:55 -0300
I don't mean to interrupt your argument, but maybe you could think of the
problem the other way round: what would LaTeX3 have to have to make it
"readable" over the Net?

Let me explain: one (the) worst problem with reading scientific documents
via HTML is that either you read TeX source---which is discouraging for
most---or you download all the formulas as graphic files and hope you are
near your source, wich is not the case of the people who benefit the most
from the Electronic publications anyway (those of us who are uncivilized
enough to live outside Eurpoe and USA for example).  I ignore if these
problems have been removed from HTML 4, 5, ..., oo, but I doubt it, since
I'ts a John-Doe-Internet revolution that's moving things (no problem
there, but don't fool yourselves!).

Could a browser load a program (an applet, if it's Netscape) to read the
(La)TeX source, process it on-the-fly, and present it using fonts
something like SciWord does?  Most people don't care if their screens
aren't beautiful (I mean TeX-beauty, really nice fonts, spacing, etc.
etc.) as long as they can read the information. If needed you can always
TeX the .tex file later to gush over the beauty of typesetted foo's.

I though maybe the add-in could be part of LaTeX3, which is why I've
interrupted you. I'm sorry if it is off-the-whatever.

While I'm at it, I resent you-didn't-go-to-TUG??-and-I-did remarks. And I
think some of the people suscribed to this list have grown past enjoying
people scratching their eyes out over --- over what?

John.