Re: default inputenc/fontenc tight to language

Eric Brunet <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:07:29 +0100

Thierry Bouche wrote:

> You mean that people with macintoshes should have something do declare
> in their files and others not? And that this would be forced somewhere
> in latex or babel kernel?

Well, macintosh users have to declare something now, don't they ? And
setting a default wouldn't change that; it is not as if a default would
force macintosh users to have a preambule longer than what they now have.
It would be exactly the same thing. But if we declare a default, me might
shorten the preambule for all the macintosh users, or for all the unix
plus all the windows users (thanks to the near compatibility of latin and
ansinew). So it is possible to make latex easier to a large majority
without making it more difficult to the minority. I cannot see how this
could be regarded as a bad solution ?

> Well, if they have T1/fontenc, they won't see anything wrong. As long
> as french is concerned, making latin1 the default is restrictive as T1
> is mandatory for correct hyphenation/kerning and T1 coincides with
> latin1. You can live with only « » active with current latex, I don't
> see a good reason for  requiring all >127 actives.

So you suggest that unix (or windows) users should just declare
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} without declaring any inputenc package (relying
on the fact that the T1 layout reproduce the latin1 layout), and that
macintosh users should declare \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc} (because otherwise it would not work) ?
Well, I propose exactly the same thing, except that with my proposal, the
characters above 127 would __moreover__ be correctly handled.

Éric Brunet