LATEX-L  March 2001

LATEX-L March 2001

EuroTeX 2001: Call for papers

"Pepping, Simon (ELS)" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:18:50 +0200

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B68D.F0BC11B8

Attached please find the Call for Contributions for EuroTeX 2001.

For the Program Committee,
Simon Pepping
Elsevier Science

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B68D.F0BC11B8

\documentclass[a4paper]{artikel3}
%%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{phv}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
\fontfamily{\rmdefault}\selectfont
%\usepackage{tex4ht}
\usepackage{url,hthtml,html}
\usepackage[colorlinks]{hyperref}

\newcommand{\euromail}{%
  \htmladdnormallink{\[log in to unmask]
                    {mailto:[log in to unmask]
\newcommand{\euroweb}{%
  \htmladdnormallink{\url{www.ntg.nl/eurotex}}%
                    {http://www.ntg.nl/eurotex}}
\addtolength{\textwidth}{2cm}
\addtolength{\textheight}{36pt}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\title{Call for Contributions for Euro\TeX~2001}
\date{21 March 2001}
\author{The Program Committee}
\maketitle

The Euro\TeX\ conference 2001 will take place from September 23rd to
September 27th in the Netherlands. The conference will be held in an
old abbey, Rolduc, near the city of Kerkrade.

Participants will be welcomed on Sunday evening the 23rd of September.
The conference proper will start on Monday and continue until
Wednesday. On Thursday courses and tutorials may be given.

The theme of the conference is:=20
\begin{center}
  \TeX\ and Meta\\
  the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Bits
\end{center}

So, what are "Good, Bad and Ugly Bits"? Traditionally we tend to focus
on Good Bits because they are so rewarding. It feels good to see a
beautifully typeset document that you were able to produce using all
the power that \TeX\ and Metafont/MetaPost provide.  We try to forget
how many Bad Bits we had to overcome, and are proud that we found more
or less elegant ways to program around them. Nevertheless, some of
these difficulties should be regarded as Ugly Bits that would not
exist in an ideal world.

What can we do?=20

First of all, keep up the Good Bits and extend them if possible.
Analyze the Bad Bits, learn from them, and find easy and generic ways
to get around them.  Find the Ugly Bits and eradicate them!

Let's make progress! Of course we need a lot of discussion to
distinguish between Good, Bad and Ugly, and about ways to deal with
them. We invite you all to demonstrate either of these bits. Feel free
to present your application (Good, not Bad or Ugly) at the conference!

At this conference we would like to take a new view on contributions.
\begin{itemize}
\item Of course we welcome a presentation accompanied by a written
paper, as usual.
\item But does it bother you to write a paper, or does your
contribution seem fit for an interesting presentation but not for a
written paper?  We will welcome the presentation equally much, and do
with only a short summary on paper or even entirely without the paper
work.
\item Or do you find yourself in the opposite situation: You would
like to clarify your new package or other work extensively on paper
but believe that it would be unsuitable to cover it equally
extensively in an oral presentation? Feel free to let us have your
paper and at the conference present only the highlights.
\item Or do you believe your ideas only warrant a short presentation
without a paper? It is equally welcome.
\end{itemize}

We do expect from each contributor a \emph{short summary} of the
proposed contribution. This summary will inform the Program Committee
of your plan. And at the conference it will be the introduction to
your contribution, or your complete contribution if that is what you
propose.

We invite you to submit your proposal for a contribution to the
conference. You can send it by email to \euromail.
If you have no access to e-mail you can send your contribution to:
\begin{flushleft}
   Euro\TeX\ 2001 program committee\\
   Spuiboulevard 269\\
   3311 GP Dordrecht\\
   The Netherlands.
\end{flushleft}
In such a case we would ask you to submit your paper in electronic
form on a floppy disk.

We are working with the following time schedule:

\begin{center}
  \begin{tabular}{ll}
    may 10      & deadline for receiving proposals\\
    june 10     & deadline for receiving full draft papers\\
    july 11     & end of review\\
    august 11   & deadline for receiving final, reviewed papers\\
  \end{tabular}
\end{center}

An up-to-date list of contributions as well as more information about
the conference can be found at \euroweb.

\end{document}

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B68D.F0BC11B8--