Help for IGCS-L Archives

IGCS-L Archives

IGCS-L@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

IGCS-L Home

IGCS-L  June 2001

IGCS-L June 2001

[IGCS - Chinese News Media - Background] HKJA 2000 Annual Report: Patriot Games. Hong Kong's media face to face with the Taiwan factor

Hanno Lecher <[log in to unmask]>

IGCS-L Distribution List <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:34:07 +0200

Internet Guide for China Studies Newsletter
http://sun.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/ignew.htm
18 Jun 2001 (HL)

New in IGCS - Chinese News Media - Background:

HKJA 2000 Annual Report: Patriot Games. Hong Kong's media face to face with
the Taiwan factor

Ed./Corp.: Hong Kong Journalists Association / Article 19, Hong Kong, PR China
Language: English.

Self description: "The Hong Kong Journalists Association (HKJA) and ARTICLE
19, the Global Campaign for Free Expression, publish here our eighth annual
report on the state of freedom of expression in Hong Kong, and our first of
the new millennium. [...] On a positive note, we are pleased to report that
the people of Hong Kong continue in large measure to enjoy the right to
freedom of expression, and that Hong Kong society benefits from public
debate and a relatively free press. But we remain concerned about various
longstanding threats to such freedom, some a legacy from the period of
British colonial rule, others arising from Hong Kong's re-incorporation
into China. [...] We are especially concerned that during the past year
there have been several ominous developments which threaten freedom of
expression. [...]"

Site contents: (1) Introduction; (2) Conclusions and recommendations; (3)
The Government and the Taiwan Question (A mainland official sounds warning
on Taiwan reporting; The Taiwan factor at the government broadcaster; The
threat of anti-subversion laws; The sacred flag; No reform for
security-related laws; Dim day for the rule of law; Raid on a leading
newspaper; Other law reform issues; The monitoring of human rights; The
government's uneasy interface with the media); (4) Backlash from Years of
Bad Behaviour (Privacy - the flawed laws we have; Privacy - the flawed laws
being proposed; The threat of new obscenity laws; New controls on the
Internet; The scourge of self-censorship; More libel cases go to court);
(5) New Media, New Problems (Good news - more investment; Picking winners;
Bad news - little extra diversity; Pushing up the stakes; Content is king,
or is it?; Uncertainties and familiar problems).

Previous annual reports:
1999: The Ground Rules Change. Freedom of expression in Hong Kong two years
after the handover to China.
1998: Questionable Beginnings. A report on Freedom of Expression in the
Hong Kong SAR one year after the change of sovereignty.

Further annual reports are available for 1994-1997

With kind regards,

Hanno Lecher ([log in to unmask])

INTERNET GUIDE FOR CHINESE STUDIES -- editor
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/