IGCS-L Archives

May 2003

IGCS-L@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

From:
Hanno Lecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 19:18:19 +0200
Internet Guide for Chinese Studies Newsletter
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/ignew.htm
30 May 2003 (hl)

New in IGCS - history:

China um 1900 in den Augen der Zeit (China around 1900 in contemporary
sources)

Ed./Corp.: Diana Ehrenwert, Austria.
URL.: http://www.china1900.info/
Language: German.

Self description: "These pages bring to you what eyes have seen in China a
hundred years ago, what ears have heard and brushes and quills have noted.
They convey what Chinese literati and Western adventurers, scientists,
diplomats and missionaries have lived to see around 1900 in Peking,
Shanghai, Tsingdao, ..., and what they thought. If we borrow their open eyes
and follow their thoughts then we will see -- surprisingly enough:
ourselves. We will better understand the China of today and gain new
perspectives on the world we live in now. The men and women of those days
can help us make a better guess on what the future will bring to us [...]"
[tr. from German by HL].

commentaries from a wealth of different contemporary sources such as entries
from the famous German encyclopaedia "Meyers Gro&szlig;es
Konversationslexikon", talks given by Otto Franke at the beginning of the
last century, polemics by Gu Hongming, novels by Guo Moruo and Ba Jin, and
many more (the whole list is given in the bibliography).

Contents: (1) Einleitung (introduction); (2) Orte (places); (3) Literati und
Abenteurer (literati and adventurers); (4) Leben (life); (5) Einschnitte
(events); (6) Verwendete B&uuml;cher (bibliography).

Resource suggested by Diana Ehrenwert, Austria.

With kind regards,

Hanno Lecher ([log in to unmask])

INTERNET GUIDE FOR CHINESE STUDIES -- editor
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/