Help for IGCS-L Archives

IGCS-L Archives

IGCS-L@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

IGCS-L Home

IGCS-L  May 2004

IGCS-L May 2004

[IGCS - Chinese and Computers] A Quick and Dirty Guide to Installing and Using East Asian Languages Under Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP

"Hanno E. Lecher" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 May 2004 16:41:59 +0200

Internet Guide for Chinese Studies Newsletter
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/ignew.htm
07 May 2004; entry by Matthias Arnold

New in IGCS - Chinese and Computers
(http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/igcc.htm):

A Quick and Dirty Guide to Installing and Using East Asian Languages
Under Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP

Ed./Corp.: Robert Y. Eng, University of Redlands, Redlands, USA.
Language: English.

Self description: "This document is intended as a guide to installing
and using Chinese and Japanese on a PC running Windows 2000 Professional
or Windows XP, based on my personal (and often frustrating) attempts.
Hopefully the steps outlined below will facilitate your efforts and get
you up and running using East Asian languages in your documents. Once
East Asian language support is installed on your PC, you can create
documents in Chinese, Japanese or Korean with most Microsoft
applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.), and with
some non-Microsoft applications. You can even mix languages in your
document. It should be emphasized that (1) some of the choices taken
during installation may be replaced by other options based on your
personal preferences and expertise --- the ones picked here are the ones
that may be easiest for people with little or no experience in using
Microsoft's Input Method Editors for foreign languages; (2) the steps
used in inputting text are for illustrative purposes and may not
represent the most efficient ones to achieve the desired results,
particularly for skilled users. The installation of East Asian language
support and their input methods vary some between Windows 2000
Professional and Windows XP. So I have created separate pages for these
two Windows platforms. I have also included numerous screen shots to
illustrate the steps involved. For maximum clarity, I have not reduced
the dimensions of most of these shots, but have optimized their sizes
for Web display."

Contents: (1) Installing East Asian Language Support Under Windows 2000
Professional; (2) Installing East Asian Language Support Under Windows
XP; (3) Writing Chinese Under Windows 2000 Professional/XP; (4) Writing
Japanese Under Windows 2000 Professional/XP; (5) Sending and Receiving
Chinese E-Mail: Overview; (6) Sending and Receiving Japanese E-Mail:
Overview.

With kind regards,

Hanno E. Lecher

INTERNET GUIDE FOR CHINESE STUDIES -- editor
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/