LATEX-L  November 2009

LATEX-L November 2009

Re: Please don't \RequirePackage{lmodern}

Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Nov 2009 18:00:02 +0100

Will Robertson skrev:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Thanks for the well-reasoned feedback; please don't hesitate to bring
> such issues up when they first start bugging you.
>
> You're right that I sneaked lmodern in because it follows my own
> preference; the big factor for me isn't the fonts but rather the T1
> encoding; I simply find it a pain to deal with OT1 idiosyncrasies. In
> turn, lmodern is the natural choice due to their excellent glyph
> coverage and small file size (as opposed to the auto-traced CM-Super
> fonts).

Well, I think the T1 encoding default EC fonts beat both (at least if
we restrict ourselves to the latin script; certainly part of the size
of CM-Super is due to providing glyphs from other scripts as well, and
these days drivers tend to subset fonts anyway).

>> I'd like to have [lmodern] removed, or at least moved to a .cfg file.
>
> Couldn't you create your own .cfg file? (Admittedly, I don't think it's documented that l3doc will read in l3doc.cfg if it exists.)
>
> \usepackage[OT1]{fontenc}
> \renewcommand\rmdefault{cmr}
> \renewcommand\sfdefault{cmss}
> \renewcommand\ttdefault{cmtt}

First, I never objected to using the T1 encoding. When I'm not
generating PDF, there is no problem with getting EC glyphs.

Second, as has been remarked by others, it doesn't suffice to just
switch the text family defaults back; lmodern.sty also replaces the
math, which serves less purpose and is more work to undo.

Third, undocumented .cfg files are a bit troublesome in that you don't
know for sure when they'll be used: some packages input them prior to
\ProcessOptions (meaning you can't easily use them to load other
packages), others input them just after, and some (like currently
l3doc, from a quick glance at the sources) input them at the very end.

> While I have no real objection to removing lmodern, in the long run I would like to default to T1/lmodern in general (not in LaTeX2e, of course, but anything "new").

Well, lmodern as default would probably please the zealots on
debian-legal, but are the fonts good enough (yet)? Mid-September I had
an opportunity to try them out using a newly installed TeXLive-2009,
but was bemused by several blotches in the rendered display that looked
like tell-tale signs of poor hinting. Matters might have improved,
since there apparently was an update of these fonts in TeXLive a few
days later, but it doesn't feel all that stable.

Because doing is easier than undoing in this case, I'd prefer it if
lmodern was not in l3doc.cls. If you still want it for default, there
is always the latex/base/*.cfg option of having it in an l3doc.ltx that
gets loaded if there isn't an l3doc.cfg.

Lars Hellström