KIP-SPIKEY-USERS Archives

2016

KIP-SPIKEY-USERS@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

From:
Michael Schmuker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spikey neuromorphic system - User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:49:47 +0100
Hi,

in case anyone ever wondered, I can confirm that the Spikey software runs just fine on a BeagleBone. The BeagleBone is a credit-card sized computer with an ARM processor that can run a full linux system (architecture armv7l), not unlike the Raspberry Pi.

We’re using the BeagleBone because our goal is to come up with a portable, small-footprint neuromorphic system. It could also be interesting for the next-generation dissemination systems.

The software compiled quite fine, with three minor hiccups:
- on ARM ubuntu, the boost libraries are installed in a location that the waf-script doesn’t know about: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
- it ran out of memory when compiling the logger. The beaglebone only comes with 512 MB. Using a temporary swap file solved this (mkswap/swapon).
- I had to use the CPATH environment variable to manually point it to numpy’s arrayobject.h,  which was located in an anaconda env (probably rather a problem with anaconda than with the beaglebone per se).

I should say though that compilation took a very long time (might have been an hour or so). This is probably a consequence of a not-so-fast processor, little and slow RAM and slow disk i/o. So some cross-compilation setup may be useful if you’re in a hurry.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Schmuker